Sunday, August 19, 2012

To Every Season . . .

To every season and to the end of summer time is always a lovely time as the fruits and vegetables ripen.  The farmers' market is full of the bounty of our summertime work, and we can rejoice that we've made it through the growing season.  For me, this season is a great reminder of our vulnerability and our dependency on nature for our livelihood.

When I grew up in San Francisco, I was not aware of the seasons and how our food was grown as I never saw a growing plant amidst the "concrete jungle".  We had only one park in Chinatown where the grass was grown in planters, and of course I never saw vegetables or fruit growing in it's natural state.  I still remember the first time that I found green beans hiding under their bush leaves - it seemed like magic to me - that here was how one of my favorite vegetables grew.  They were perfect and looked just like the ones that we bought in the grocery store!  Or the first time when we happened to be on a ranch and we were allowed to climb trees.  We sat in an apricot tree eating fresh heavy juicy fruit straight from the branches, and the juice from the fruit ran down my face and arms.  I still remember the flavor--rich, sweet and so distinct and I knew I was in heaven.  There has never been another apricot to compare with those that I ate ripe out of that tree.

Although we do not have a large garden or fruit trees in our yard, we are fortunate that our neighbors are generous and share with us their cherries and rhubarb.  Sometimes they ask us to take their overabundance, and we are glad to do so.  So this year we tried some new recipes for preserving the fruit and the cheery and rhubarb liqueur seems to be a success.  We're saving a few bottles to be savored this winter when the snow and temperatures are down, and we know we will be sipping the liqueurs and remembering these lazy hot days of summer.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning dear friend. It is nice to find your blog. As the seasons change and life slowly moves forward I will wander through your stories...one thing could make ut more perfect...sitting together sharing stories....love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindyg - i found this again, and one year ago, you wrote this comment. What memories have filled out our year? I will always miss your company and I am comforted with the memories we share. Wishing you and your family all the love I can send and hope that this past year has been a wonderful one for all of you!

      Delete